Friday, August 1

V important we do our bit to save the world for scicom! (even you, lurkers)

As I posted last week, DIUS is having a consultation on science and society and how to make everything better.

Basically, it's all the stuff we learnt about and have been thinking about for years. What do we think are the answers? (Or indeed the question, because working that out might help).

Here is Liam's handy summary of the consultation document:-

"We're not very good at communicating clearly or concisely. We want to hear from people who are willing to read through a 57-page document, which has no clear lines of argument, and is schizophrenic about whether we are doing terribly well already or whether we need to do far more right now."

There's comments from Liam and me in the other thread. Liam's are mainly about tax breaks and funding for research and development. Mine are about teaching How Science Works.

This is what we learnt all that stuff for. If you could wave a magic wand what would you want the government to do?

5 comments:

Sophia said...

Do you think it's going in everybody's spam folder, or do they just not have any ideas?

I'd have thought Ian would have some opinions on science teaching at least...

Sophia said...

I'm not getting email updates of comments. Did you say you thought it would do that?

Liam said...

No, I said it would not do that. It can do that if you like?

Sophia said...

Dunno, do you think it would be useful, or annoying?

Liam said...

Annoying, I reckon. Maybe they just don't care. Sob.