Saturday, February 10

APOU music reviews - first in another occasional series

As part of my commitment to the 21st century and fashionable Shoreditch, I went to see a gig by an unsigned pop-rock band at a pub on Hoxton Street last night, and I am now blogging about it. It doesn't get much more cutting edge than this.

The band is Molloy; their myspace page is here; their official bilingual website is here; and their bass guitarist is our very own fellow SciCom alumnus, the internationally tall Chris Cundy.

In an audience otherwise composed of intensely studenty nineteen-year-olds, the two of us - myself and my evil nemesis, demonic lawyer Al Griffiths - felt distinctly old. Then the opening band started and we just felt distinctly deaf, and fled for the upstairs to drink with Molloy until an eerie hush drew them downstairs. We followed...

The music was pretty good. Loud, but in a good sort of jumping up and down shouting way; I realised only when I tried to take a drink that I was grinning unconsciously. Impressively steady guitar work (especially from Chris, naturally) and generally a good energetic listen.

Chris informs me that they are off to Berlin soon for a gig - with a potential German record deal at the end of the pipeline. Hurrah! Also, they give away free pin badges with the word "MOLLOY" and a character from a classic 80s arcade game. I had one with one of the ghosts from Pac-Man and evil nemesis demonic lawyer Al Griffiths has one with a Space Invader. Not only am I easily swayed by shiny free things, but I suspect that in years to come it will have massive collectibility.

2 comments:

Sophia said...

So did Chris slip any Scicom in? 'This next song's about the semiotics of chemistry'... And why is Al demonic and your evil nemesis?

Sophia said...

BTW, just clicked on the link - excellent URL! Also, like the bilingualness, but I think it should definitely be expanded into other, more interesting languages. Surely between us we must be able to rustle up a few more?