Thursday, August 20

Troops out of Narnia now

So the idea is: let's take a group of basically nice if rather self-centred kids from a peaceful, affluent country, give them vastly superior weaponry, and send them off to intervene in the convoluted politics and civil wars of a far-off, ancient nation, about whose history, culture and society they know nothing. And I'm sure it'll all end up fine. They'll be welcomed as liberators! Doesn't happen. In fact, decades later, they're still trying to sort out the mess their previous interventions made. And every time they knock down this month's bad guy another one pops up. The Narnia books are basically a metaphor for the war in Afghanistan.

5 comments:

Nixoniad said...

Gremlins, on the other hand, as I may have already explained, is a metaphor for the war in Vietnam.

Sophia said...

What about Star Wars?

Nixoniad said...

Ah, yes. Star Wars, interestingly, is an allegory for the struggles between the 1906 Liberal government under Asquith and the Conservative majority in the House of Lords over the introduction of social welfare policies. The Death Star represents the launch of HMS Dreadnought.

Nixoniad said...

No, not really.

Nixoniad said...

Though I like the idea of Jacky Fisher as the Emperor. I reckon he could carry off a line like "Now witness the true power of this fully armed and operational all-big-gun steam-turbine-driven ironclad."