Monday, April 14

Sock it to them

1. Sorry about the pun.
2. Liam, where's the "EXHORTATION: Post something" button gone?
3. Oh, right. Sock Wars.

It's a bit like the Assassins game that some of us may remember from university, but with knitting. Each knitter is assigned a knitting pattern and a target. Once they receive this, they must speed-knit the pair of socks and send them to the target. On receiving the socks, the target is considered "dead". But it's a circular game - so your target has a target of their own, whom you take over when you've made your kill. And, of course, while you are knitting the socks for your target, someone is knitting the socks for YOU.

Cultural references:
a) The Norns in Norse mythology and the Three Fates in Greek mythology, both of whom are weaving women (but not knitters) who control the destinies of mortals.
b) The book "Alsos" by Samuel Goudschmit, which mentions that in 1942 the SS tasked a Fraulein Piffl with the mission of travelling to occupied Denmark to find an old Danish woman who, it was believed, still knew how to knit in the true Viking style.
c) A picture of a Scottish shepherd on a stick, knitting.

3 comments:

Sophia said...

That's bizarre! Not for the first time I ask myself, where do you find these things Alec?

Nixoniad said...

I am a professional blogger. I sense weird things on the Internet using resonating ferromagnetic crystals in my head.

The Fraulein Piffl letter is extremely funny but not online - I recommend "Alsos". Also because this now counts as a WW2 post!

Liam said...

The exhortation button was so aPOU 1.0

But I'll add it again when I get round to it.