Friday, October 28

Classical Philosophy on Friday

This is rather amusing - although I should warn you that it contains violence and strong language from the outset.

Aristotle: Well, allow me to demonstrate. Let's say there was an imaginary city, and all the people were divided into three groups. Let's say I represent the Gold group, I'd be Mr. Gold, you, Socrates would be Mr. Silver, and, you, Alcibiades, Mr. Bronze.

Alcibiades: Why do I have to be Mr. Bronze?

Aristotle: Because it's only a demonstration. So me, Gold, I'd be the philosopher king --

Alcibiades: But why can't I be the philosopher king? Look, Socrates, I'll trade with you.

Aristotle: [Draws a gun, fires a shot into the air, and points it at Alcibiades] Interrupt me again, motherfucker. Interrupt me again. Nobody's trading with anybody. This is my allegory.

5 comments:

Liam said...

Does anyone know of a rhyme for 'Tamil'? Camel doesn't quite cut it, the end vowel is wrong.

Sophia said...

Amyl, as in amyl nitrate. Hammil, as in surname of guy who played Luke Skywalker.

Sophia said...

Although as the anthem needs to be written in the Tamil language, that's not really that useful. In fact hard to see how you could work either into a standard national anthem...

Nixoniad said...

'Trammel'? Which could, conceivably, be worked into the anthem of a newly-independent state... but I suppose the end vowel is still a bit wrong.

Awake, arise and celebrate, each newly-unchained Tamil!
No more will fetters weigh our feet, no more will nooses trammel;
For years for freedom have we fought, long-suffering as a camel -
Now freedom fills each breath we breathe - it's better than pure amyl!

Sophia said...

Anyway, the Reservoir Dogs philosophers made me laugh. So much so I wanted to send it to lots of people, but then realised that you lot were the only people I could think of who'd get it.

My Dad does have a degree in philosophy, but I bet he's never heard of Reservoir Dogs...